Monday 24 March 2014

'I felt I had been accused of lying': Naomi Oni accuses Scotland Yard of 'incompetence' for believing she may have scarred HERSELF for life by pouring sulphuric acid over her own face

  • Naomi Oni was disfigured in acid attack by former friend Mary Konye
  • Miss Oni claims police were 'incompetent' in early stages of investigation
  • Police said they had to look into all possibilities during probe
  • Konye, 22, a childhood friend of Miss Oni was jailed for 12 years last week
  • She actually spoke to her victim in hospital, comforting her about her woundsA woman who was left scarred for life after being attacked with sulphuric acid has accused Scotland Yard of incompetence, saying police initially claimed she had poured it over herself.Naomi Oni, a Victoria's Secret shop assistant, was left with severe burns on her face and chest in the incident in Dagenham, east London, in 2012.
    Her former friend, Mary Konye, 22, who disguised herself in a Muslim veil before throwing the acid, was jailed for 12 years last week.
    Naomi Oni has spoken about the investigation into the horrific acid attack and its devastating aftermath
    Naomi Oni has spoken about the investigation into the horrific acid attack and its devastating aftermath

    Naomi Oni, the victim of an acid attack, says police believed she had inflicted the grievous wounds on herself
    Assailant: Mary Konye who was jailed for 12 years for the attack
    She said it almost felt like she had 'been accused of lying', adding that she had suffered 'pain and backlash for her (Konye's) actions and other people's incompetence'.
     More...
  • 'I'm reminded what I look like every time I look in the mirror or see the reaction in people's faces': Acid attack victim speaks of her agony as the jealous childhood friend who attacked her is jailed for 12 years
    Acid attack victim Naomi Oni weeps in first TV interview since court case as she reveals she contemplated suicide over false police claims she poured acid over herself
    The Metropolitan Police said they considered all lines of inquiry in the early stages of their investigation.
    Miss Oni said officers were incompetent 'to kind of accuse me of doing it to myself, when I've
  • said somebody has followed me from my workplace to my home'.
    Miss Oni before the attack. She spent a month in hospital after the assault, which took place in Dagenham
    Miss Oni before the attack. She spent a month in hospital after the assault, which took place in Dagenham
    'I even got told that they watched the CCTV footage and they saw no-one following me,' she said.'We've all seen the CCTV footage. There was a person in a veil following me.
    'Why was this not found in the beginning? 'Nobody has answers to tell me.'
    She added that she has no idea where the rumour came from initially, but she overheard people talking about it.
    Today she told Sky News: 'I've had people approach me and even say "oh, she did it to herself".
    'I've been through a whirlwind that most people couldn't imagine happening. I've been embarrassed time and time again.'
    Chillingly, Kony even comforted Ms Oni about the attack as she lay in hospital struggling to come to terms with her terrible injuries.
    '[Konye] messaged me before she attacked me,' she told the BBC.
    'She messaged me while I was in hospital saying "hey girl". Obviously I then told her what had happened to me and she just seemed like "oh my God. What happened?".
    'I remember when I had my first surgery when they had to remove my dressings and when I saw my face after the surgery I was just in bits. I was devastated.
    'And I remember her phoning me and just crying to her and was like "who could do this to me? I’d never even wish this on my enemy".
    'I was just crying and crying and crying. And she was just listening, saying "don’t cry, its going to be ok".'
    It was argued in court that Miss Oni was trying to find fame by disfiguring herself, inspired by a similar incident in which model and TV presenter Katie Piper was partially blinded and had more than 100 operations to rebuild her face after she was badly disfigured in an acid attack in 2008.
    CCTV footage obtained by police after the attack showed a figure in a niqab following her as she left work at the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford at around 11.30pm
    CCTV footage obtained by police after the attack showed a figure in a niqab following her as she left work at the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford at around 11.30pm



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment